Recipe Details & Cooking Instructions
Spanish Empanada Recipe
- 2 6½-inch whole-wheat pitas
- 1 C Tangy Salsa
- For filling:
- 2 C canned low-sodium black beans rinsed
- 2 C frozen broccoli corn, and pepper vegetable mix, thawed (Leftover Friendly)
- 2 C grilled boneless skinless chicken breast, diced (about 4 small breasts)
- ½ C shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 1 tsp dried coriander)
- 2 Tbsp scallions green onions, rinsed and chopped (or substitute red onions)
- Preheat oven to 400 ºF.
- Combine beans, vegetables, chicken, cheese, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Cut pitas in half, and open the pockets. Divide filling evenly between the four halves (about 1½ cups each).
- Place pitas on a nonstick baking sheet, and bake for about 10 minutes until the filling is hot, cheese melts, and chicken is reheated.
- Serve each Spanish Empanada with ¼ cup of Tangy Salsa.