Rotini with Spicy Red Pepper and Almond Sauce Recipe
Rotini Recipe with Spicy Red Pepper and Almond Sauce
- 8 oz whole-wheat rotini spiral pasta
- ½ C whole natural almonds unsalted
- 1 jar 12 oz roasted red peppers
- 1 Tbsp garlic roughly chopped (about 2–3 cloves)
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp dried basil or parsley
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add pasta, and cook according to package directions for the shortest recommended time, about 10 minutes. Drain pasta.
- While the pasta cooks, toast almonds in a toaster oven or regular oven at 350 °F until lightly toasted, about 5–8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, add roasted red peppers and liquid, garlic, cayenne pepper, paprika, basil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Blend until smooth, 1–2 minutes.
- Add cooled almonds to the sauce in the processor. Pulse until the almonds are chunky.
- After draining the pasta, return to pot. Add almond sauce. Toss until pasta is well coated.
- Divide into four equal portions (about 2 cups).