Cold Fusilli Pasta with Summer Vegetables Recipe
Cold Fusilli Pasta Recipe with Summer Vegetables
- 8 oz whole-wheat fusilli spiral pasta 2 C cherry tomatoes, rinsed and halved
- 1 large green bell pepper rinsed and sliced in pieces ¼ inch wide by 2 inches long
- ½ C red onion thinly sliced 1 medium zucchini, rinsed and shredded finely or sliced into small chunks (about 1 C)
- 1 can 15½ oz low-sodium chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil rinsed, dried, and cut into thin strips (or 1 tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ C shredded parmesan cheese
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add pasta, and cook according to package directions for the shortest recommended time,
- about 8–9 minutes. Drain. Rinse pasta under cold running water to cool, about 3 minutes.
- Place all the vegetables and beans in a large salad serving bowl. Season with basil, salt, and pepper.
- Add the cooled pasta.
- Combine olive oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Mix until completely blended. Pour over vegetables and pasta. Mix gently until well coated.
- Divide into four equal portions. Top each with 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese.