Recipe Details & Cooking Instructions
Baked Egg Rolls Recipe
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil optional
- 2 tsp ginger minced (or ½ tsp dried)
- 2 tsp garlic minced (about 2 cloves)
- 4 C cabbage napa or Chinese, rinsed and shredded
- 2 C carrots peeled and sliced thinly on an angle (julienned)
- 2 C grilled boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips (about 4 small breasts) (Leftover Friendly)
- 1 tsp lite soy sauce
- 8 phyllo dough sheets
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 ºF.
- Heat vegetable and sesame oils in a large wok or sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add ginger and garlic. Stir fry quickly, about 30–45 seconds.
- Add cabbage and carrots. Continue stir-frying until the cabbage is soft, about 2–3 minutes.
- Add chicken and soy sauce. Toss well and heat through.
- Remove mixture from the pan, and place in a large colander to drain.
- To assemble baked egg rolls, cover layers of phyllo with a damp cloth to stay moist. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a cutting board.
- Spray it lightly with cooking spray. Top with another layer of phyllo dough, and spray again. Repeat for a total of four layers.
- Prepare a second stack with the remaining four layers.
- Cut layered dough into four squares. Divide filling evenly (about 1 cup portions) into the center of each stack of squares.
- Fold one corner of the square into the middle (on top of the filling). Fold in the two sides, and roll the egg roll over so the folded parts are on the bottom.
- Place the rolls on a nonstick baking sheet, and bake for 15–20 minutes, or until brown and crisp and chicken is reheated. Serve immediately.
Question: How do I use phyllo dough to wrap egg rolls?
Phyllo dough sheets are very delicate, and it’s important to keep the dough moist with a clean damp towel while preparing it. Phyllo dough is used in Baked Egg Rolls. See pictures below for how to keep phyllo dough moist and how to fold the egg roll.